Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of writer M.G. Ainsworth who currently finds her muse to write after nine....

Monday, March 21, 2011

Author

The other day I was thinking out loud, a common occurrence, about whether a cruise with my writing group could be a tax deduction. I was following the train of thought that if I used the cruise to write, edit, critique and research with business associates (aka the writing group) it would be a business expense. My train of thought was promptly derailed by someone telling me "you'd have to be an Author to do that, and you're not, you haven't written any books." I tried to explain I have 15,000 words and the remainder of the book outlined but my audience was clearly skeptical. My work suddenly seemed inconsequential.

My mind then shifted from happy thoughts of warm tropical breezes and Pina Coladas in coconut shells to the question: What makes an Author? Am I an author based on the fact that I spend all my free time writing a book? Am I an author because I've created a blog that says I am? Have I declared myself an Author prematurely?

Feeling somewhat offended by the implication that I am not yet an Author I turned to the dictionary. Merriam Webster lists a possible definition of an Author as one who creates. The Free Dictionary online defines as Author as the writer of a book, article or other text or one who creates an electronic document or system such as a website. Wiktionary lists an Author as the originator or creator of a work, especially of a literary composition. 


According to the Dictionary I am an Author. I am one who creates. I am the originator of a literary composition. I am the writer of a book and a blog and I am proud of what I do.


I think I will author a toast to the skeptics, and try it out when I'm cruising with my fellow Authors:

To the skeptics - May we write you off the way you wrote us off.

It's after nine as always :-)

Melanie

13 comments:

  1. Love it! We may be fledglings, but we are authors. Don't let the misinformed get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boil the skeptics, and skin them alive, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Scott and the pitchforks, when you need them. No where does it say you have to be a well published author to be called one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Melanie! I have been wondering that same thing...so if you find out if you can write it off let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, some published authors I've read only loosely fit the definition! :D

    And for the record pina coladas in a coconut shell are highly overrated. Very gritty. They're also hard to find as it took six years of traveling for me to find one. I am dedicated to my craft... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Good, positive mindset there.
    And somehow, someway, there's got to be a tax deduction in that cruise somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can get a Pina Colda in a coconut Monkey Head on Carnival. We have the Monkey head as a souvenir LOL. I intend to drink one while reading the final draft of my book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I am a little late getting to this, but to heck with them! You are most obviously an author. We are 'fledgling' authors, but we are stretching our wings and getting ready for a trip somewhere sunny! When you get done you should send them a copy ;) Signed: The Author Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. You echoed exactly what I was feeling the other night. My "home critic" and I were discussing "my writing thing." Frustrating. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic post! Sadly, it looks as though many of us can relate to you. One of the main reasons why I am using a Pen Name is because I have a very limited support system. Why is it that our greatest aspirations in life are met with such skepticism?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I have been saying this for a looong time. I may not be a PUBLISHED author. But I am most definitely an author. And I WILL be published someday! Not only that, if I can scrape together the funds to go on a writing cruise, I will DEFINITELY write it off on my taxes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your support everyone! I know some of youa re published so double shame on your naysayers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bit fat raspberry to all the sceptics!

    ReplyDelete