Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of writer M.G. Ainsworth who currently finds her muse to write after nine....

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A brilliant idea

I never know when inspiration is going to hit me. I consider myself to be a creative person but that being said I usually can't pull an idea for a novel out of thin air. I keep a notebook with prospective story ideas for when the time is right but an idea that knocks my socks off and makes me want to drop everything else rarely happens. I am excited to report it did happen around 4 in the morning and I know what my next project will be upon completing SPF. The night had started terribly. I'd been sick in bed with a sore throat, cough, fever, chills and headache - the whole nine yards - since Thursday. In an effort to get some rest I drank some cough syrup before bed. I'd like to think it was my subconscious and not the cough syrup that gave me the idea but like the elusive question of "how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop" the world may never know.

What I do know is I woke up with certainty that I need to write about stowaways - the ghostly kind. My next novel in addition to the SPF series will be about an Investigator named Valerie Chase. You see, spirit's can't leave the cemetery they're bound to by foot.They're too heavily warded. But they can in a car. Poor cemetery planning in the 20th century has led to  roads being built too close to gravestones. When a spirit escapes Valerie Chase in on the case. Her job is to recapture the spirit and bind them or send them on,once and for all, before they can wreak too much havoc. The longer a spirit is free the more corporeal it becomes. Unfortunately for Val she falls in love with one of the deceased she is supposed to recapture  and life (and death) gets a lot more complicated. 

I was so excited I took a break from SPF to write a prologue and create a rough outline. I'm considering "Spiritual Baggage" or "A Ghost's Guide to Hitchhiking" as titles but this may change. So what do you think? I'd love to hear your feedback. 

Thanks for following!

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment